Skip to main content



If you are feeling unusually unhappy all the time, unable to sleep or eat, get up or get through the day, you may have depression.  You may feel better trying to talk to a friend or family member about what might be making you feel like low.  If you are in school or college there will be an advisor or counsellor who will listen to your worries and you can ask to speak to a school nurse too.  For confidential information about depression, use the NET links below to learn more.  Some of the services offer confidential help lines and online chat.  If your situation is serious you can seek help from your local doctor, by making an appointment and sharing how you feel.  It is possible that physical illness could be a cause of feeling very tired or low.   If necessary a GP could also refer you for counselling (see COULD COUNSELLING HELP YOU).

Mind offer text and phone support and masses of information about depression as well as other emotional and mental health issues.

Anxiety UK has some interesting and helpful information for young people about anxiety and related issues.  They support young people experiencing stress through The Stressed Out Project, of which you can become a member.  Their email information service and helpline is open to all.  Helpline:  Monday –Friday  9:30-5:30pm 08444 775 774. 

Young minds is UKs leading Charity committed to improving the emotional well-being and Mental health of children and young people. Find out more about depression on their website. Contact their helpline and on line service offering confidential support and information.

Rethink is a site for young people and the link above offers advice on supporting someone with a mental health illness. As a friend or family member it can be hard to know what to say or do so read this information for help. Crisis line available.

Students Against depression is a student website and blog providing information about how depression works, the signs of depression, suicidal thoughts and feelings, how to tackle it and how to move forward.

Mental Wealth UK are a student-led organisation aiming to raise awareness of mental health and well-being on university campus’.  Depending on your university you may be able to contact the group for advice and guidance on dealing with depression or any other mental health issue you may have (Leicester University has a Mental Wealth Group)  They will be able to direct you to the relevant student service.  You may be interested in becoming involved with the group. 

The Rural Stress Helpline is a listening service which offers telephone support and advice for anybody living in a rural area and feeling troubled, anxious or stressed.  Melton is at the heart of a farming county and the rural stress helpline also offers LINKS  to a number of charities and organisations aimed at supporting farmers and their families through troubled times.  For the Helpline call 0845 094 8286. Email:  

The Samaritans will listen if you want to talk about your depression. At any time of day or night call either the local Leicestershire Samaritans on 0116 270 007 or call the National Number: 08457 90 90 90.  If you have no credit or land line, you can TEXT: 07725 90 90 90 and ask them to call you.  Email the Samaritans for online correspondence:

Back to top